Public Safety Specialization - Organizational Management, Bachelor of Applied Science
Program Code: OMBSPSMG
Location(s): Cocoa, Melbourne, Palm Bay, Titusville, Online
Delivery Method(s): Hybrid, Online
Previous Degree Required: AS/AA
Eligible for Financial Aid: Yes
Additional Limited Access Application Process Required: No
Program Testing Requirements:
Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) Code: 52.0299
Florida Department of Education CIP Code: 1105202991
Students can only select one major and one specialization.
The Public Safety Management Bachelor's Degree specialization prepares students to effectively manage and lead public safety agencies. Prime candidates for the program include those with an associate degree or extensive experience in Law Enforcement, Corrections, Criminal Justice, Fire Science, Emergency Medical Services, Crime Scene Technology or Public Administration. Visit the program page for more details and how to apply.
|Complete Associate Degree||60|
|General Education or Technical Concentration|
|General Education (for A.S. degree students) or Technical Concentration (for A.A. degree students) 1||21|
|Organizational Management - Core Courses|
|ACG 3024||Accounting for Managers||3|
|BUL 3130||Legal, Ethical, and Social Aspects of Business||3|
|GEB 3213||Foundations of Managerial Communications||3|
|MAN 3240||Organizational Behavior||3|
|MAN 3303||Management and Leadership||3|
|MAN 4301||Human Resource Management||3|
|ECP 3530||Economics of Health and Healthcare Policy 2||3|
|or ECP 3703||Managerial Economics|
|FIN 3402||Financial Management 3||3|
|or QMB 3250||Quantitative Methods for Business Decisions|
|Public Safety Specialization|
|DSC 3079||Foundations of Public Safety Management||3|
|DSC 3215||Emergency Planning||3|
|DSC 3226||National Incident Management||3|
|DSC 4016||Public Safety Policy and Law||3|
|DSC 4710||Public Safety Management Capstone||3|
|Total Credit Hours||120|
Students in the Accounting Specialization must take ACG 2021 Financial Accounting, ACG 2071 Managerial Accounting,
ACG 2100 Intermediate Accounting 1 as part of their 21 General Education or Technical Concentration if they have not satisfied these specialization requirements with their associate degree.
Students in the Healthcare Management specialization should take ECP 3530 Economics of Health and Healthcare Policy.
Students in Banking and Financial Management specialization only will take both courses (see OMBSBAFI specialization).
Learning Outcomes: Public Safety Management BAS
- Examines the primary aspects of public safety organizations.
- Supports Core Ability: Model Ethical and Civic Responsibility
- Examines the process and implementation of emergency management planning.
- Supports Core Ability: Communicate Effectively
- Explores full implementation of national standards and the development of the national response framework.
- Supports Core Ability: Work Cooperatively
- Differentiates between federal, state and local public safety laws along with FEMA's role in policy pertaining to natural and man-made disasters.
- Supports Core Ability: Process Information
- Integrates knowledge, skills and abilities learned to propose a plan for public safety managers to implement in the event of a catastrophic event.
- Supports Core Ability: Think Critically and Solve Problems