Mission, Vision & Core Abilities
To engage our diverse population in quality, accessible, learning opportunities that successfully meet individual and community needs. Eastern Florida State College fulfills its mission by offering the following:
- Specified Baccalaureate Degree programs through formal written agreements between the college and other regionally accredited postsecondary education institutions or with the college for the purpose of meeting district, regions or statewide workforce needs.
- Undergraduate studies and Associate Degrees for students pursuing a Baccalaureate Degree delivered in traditional face-to-face classes, partially online classes and online classes.
- Technical and vocational training for Associate Degrees and Certificates to enter the workforce, improve professional skills and develop new competencies.
- Instructions support services such as advising and career guidance.
- Activities supporting cultural enrichment, economic development, sports, wellness and quality of life.
- Workshops and classes for personal growth, development instruction and lifelong learning.
Eastern Florida State College is committed to being our community's center for quality teaching and lifelong learning.
Eastern Florida State College's goal is to prepare students to live and work in a dynamically changing world by emphasizing student growth and lifelong learning. In keeping with our institutional mission and vision, EFSC promotes the development of the five key Core Abilities. These also line up with the five broad categories of state college general education learning outcomes defined in 2007 by a special task force of the State of Florida Council of Instructional Affairs.
- Learner demonstrates the ability to act cooperatively and effectively in a diverse environment
- Learner demonstrates respectful interpersonal skills with working with others
- Learner provides and accepts constructive feedback
- Learner contributes to a group with ideas, suggestions, and effort
THINK CRITICALLY & SOLVE PROBLEMS
- Learner demonstrates the ability to research, evaluate, interpret, synthesize, and apply knowledge and understanding of problem-solving activities
- Learner demonstrates the integration of culturally and aesthetically based knowledge and understanding of problem-solving activities
- Learner demonstrates the integration of mathematically and scientifically based knowledge and understanding into problem-solving activities
- Learner identifies, locates, and uses appropriate technology and informational tools for research purposes
- Learner gathers required information
- Learner selects, synthesizes, and organizes information
- Learner evaluates and documents sources
MODEL ETHICAL & CIVIC RESPONSIBILITY
- Learner accepts responsibility for his/her learning
- Learner demonstrates respect for the rights, views, and work of others
- Learner exhibits personal and academic honesty
- Learner exhibits responsibility in personal, civic, professional and educational environments
- Learner applies appropriate reading, writing, speaking, new media, and active listening skills to express information, ideas, and opinions
- Learner uses appropriate technology that supports or facilitates communication
- Learner communicates effectively, appropriately, and professionally in verbal, nonverbal, and written forms
It is the goal of Eastern Florida State College to prepare students to live and work in a dynamically changing world by emphasizing student growth and lifelong learning. Through experiences both in and out of the classroom, students will be given the opportunity to develop critical skills to succeed in life. We call these Core Abilities.